Isla Mujeres was discovered by the Spaniards during an expedition led by Francisco Hernandez de Cordoba in 1517. In pre-Hispanic times the island was sacred to Ixchel, the Mayan goddess of the moon, love and fertility, which received offerings with female forms that believers deposited on its beaches. When the Spanish conquerors arrived and observed the figures, baptized Isla Mujeres.
Its adjacencies are on the north by the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean Sea, on the east by the Caribbean Sea, on the south and west by the Caribbean Sea and the municipality of Benito Juarez.
The port area concessioned to APIQROO has a total Surface of 5,046.09 m2 of land, where facilities operated by the APIQROO are located. However, it is important to note that this port precinct is formed by two polygonal enclosures. The Maritime terminal of Isla Mujeres corresponds to the A polygon and B polygon is specialized in ferry traffic.